SUSTAINABILITY AT THE THERESA
We would like to offer our guests a stay with the highest level of quality. However, you should be able to feel good about your stay without having to worry about the environment. We will take care of that. As an innovative wellness hotel, we have improved our own personal carbon footprint (ClimatePartner, Munich) in order to contribute to the long-term conservation of our environment. This year, we have reduced our CO² output by 25%. Responsible handling of all resources is our daily endeavor.
- Head chef Stefan Egger is enthusiastic about local, organic products and uses seasonal fruit and vegetables, mushrooms, berries, cheeses, dairy products, herbs, meat (including venison), and grains from local farmers. This not only results in better taste, but also is a major contribution to the environment. We know our suppliers personally and know where the products come from.
- Stefan Egger also goes so far as to completely dispense with the long-distance transport of saltwater fish. From distant seas, it takes at least 5-10 days to deliver (up to 20,000 km) the "fresh" fish to the Zillertal.
- At the THERESA, we mostly use freshwater fish from local waters: alpine salmon from Lower Austria, brown trout from Tyrol, whitefish from Lake Constance, Saibling from the Attersee and Mondsee, eel from the Marchfeld ... the selection is huge and delivery takes max. 48 hrs. (max. 400 km).
- Our kitchen team also bakes the bread in the in-house bakery – which saves daily delivery by the baker
- We even hunt our own wild game (chamois, deer, ...)
Not only the "slow food" idea is internalized here, but also the contribution to our valuable environment in a global sense
- With all of our amenities in the hotel, we pay close attention to ensure that we use products and materials from the region.
- The craftsmen that process these materials come from the surroundings and have worked with us for many years (and thus their short drive to us should also be mentioned).
Use of Alpine wellness products:
- Alpienne: a treat for you and your body – not only because all the ingredients are 100% natural, come from the Tyrolean Alps, and grow in the wild, but also because they are hand-picked and processed by hand. Alpienne is a supplier and partner that contributes to climate neutrality.
- Tyrolean oil is gathered from the Achensee and with its high content of naturally bonded sulfur, has a nourishing effect on skin, hair, and joints, as well as the musculoskeletal system.
- Zell am Ziller is wonderfully connected to Austria's train network, and many guests arrive by train. Upon request, guests will be picked up for free and brought back to the train station after their stay.
- If you travel by car, then you can park your car in our garage for free, and you won't need it for the whole vacation.
- You can take the nostalgic Zillertalbahn train or public transportation throughout the valley.
- For exercise during your vacation, there are free bicycles and mountain bikes available – and if you're too tired to bike back to the hotel, you can ride the train back, and your bike will be transported for free.
- With bookings from 7-day durations, guests receive the THERESA the Zillertal Akitv Card: with this card, our guests can use all Zillertal lifts, trains, and buses for free.
- During your stay, a shuttle service for guided hikes, ski safaris, or guided cultural excursions is available.
- Our heating system was reconstructed in April 2011: two 400KW oil burners were removed and replaced with a 150 kW natural gas burner and two bio-gas CHPs, each using 50 kW.
So, we not only produce heat, but also our own electricity.
- FYI: 1 ton of oil = 270 kg CO², 1 ton of gas = ca. 40 kg CO²
- The generation of energy in the SPA & wellness area is natural and environmentally-friendly. A solar system of 150m² supplies the 3,000 m² wellness oasis with clean solar power.
- The wellness facilities at the THERESA include a large indoor and outdoor Jacuzzi, a year-round heated saltwater pool in the garden, and a heated outdoor pool, as well as an ice-cold plunge pool for after-sauna visits – and all of these are chlorine-free! So, wellness-lovers are actually swimming in oxygen-enriched spring water.
- Lighting throughout the hotel (where possible) is via LED lamps or energy-saving lamps and motion sensors.
- With the key card, electricity will only be used in the new rooms when guests are actually in the rooms.
- All of the bed linen as well as table linen are washed at the hotel, which saves transport.
- To protect the environment, towels are changed in rooms only upon request. If the towel is placed in the bathtub or shower, it will be changed. Otherwise, we assume it can be used again.
- For laundry, we use environmentally degradable detergents.
- "The Alps are Europe’s air conditioner": due to the alpine climate, we can do without energy-guzzling air-conditioning systems
- At the THERESA, we separate garbage: paper, plastic, glass, metal, special waste, and organic waste. Employees receive special instruction for waste separation.
- On the buffet, there are no portion packs, which also eliminates extra waste.
- Our suppliers help us to prevent the accumulation of waste. So long as it is possible due to hygienic reasons, products are transported in recycled packaging materials on Euro-pallets or in reusable hard plastic.